List still very much under construction
But, here’s a start to some of my favorite on-topic reads.
Gardening, local agriculture, sustainability
- Eliot Coleman: Four Season Harvest
- Jeff Lowenfels & Wayne Lewis: Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to the Soil Food Web
- David Deardorff & Kathryn Wadsworth: What’s Wrong with My Vegetable Garden
- Michael Pollan–where to begin? How about Omnivore’s Dilemma, Second Nature, In Defense of Food are my favorites, but Food Rules is a good guidebook. The Botany of Desire is next on my list
- Eric Schlosser: Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
- Ellen Ecker Ogden: from the cook’s garden
- Mollie Katzen: The New Moosewood Cookbook
Canning and Preserving
- Judi Kingry and Lauren Devine (edited) Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
- Ball Blue Book guide to preserving
- Elizabeth L. Andress Ph. D. and Judy A. Harrison, Ph.D. So Easy to Preserve
- Jackie Callahan Parente: Can It!